Tuesday 13 August 2013

Summer Mentorship Component



Service Log

[Senior] Summer Community Service Log


The first ten hours at AEON Medical Equipment & Supplies, Inc. and the doctor's office were for this summer mentorship component.

The extra thirty hours at the UC Irvine Medical Centre was an extra thing I did after getting the ten hours required. I don't believe it can be counted for mentorship as it is part of a week-long programme called Camp Cardiac, in which UC Irvine Medical Students taught us all about the medical profession. We were able to ask undergraduates, medical students, and full-fledged doctors questions about the field. I've added it just to log it! It's also influenced me to do my senior project on it.


Contact Information

Susan Esquivel – (909) 223–0179


What questions were raised because of the 10 hours of experience?

  1. What kind of things are we going to be doing in the components during the year?
  2. What do I really want to do with my life?
  3. What is the hardest thing to deal with in the different types of fields of medicine?
  4. How people think and feel in the the medical profession


What is the most important thing you gained from this experience?

I really got most of my enjoyment from Camp Cardiac. Although it was not particularly a mentorship, it left me with a feeling of enthusiasm and the desire to really get a good mentor in this school year. I really want to do something in the medical field. Surgeon? Sure.


How did what you did help you choose a topic?

The ten hours at AEON Medical Equipment & Supplies, Inc. helped me realise that what I'm dealing with is very complicated. I have been going to these medical supply companies since I was small (Accompanying my mum), but I never realised how deep it was. After going to Camp Cardiac and interacting with the doctors and medical students as well as learning more about the field, I now absolutely know I want to become a doctor with my senior project being something in this field. I hope this senior year will be a good learning experience for me. If what this summer has shown me so far is a vision of my future, then I'm going to be very happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

* If you are not signed in, please leave your name or blog link. Anonymous comments without a "–[name]" will be taken out by the spam filter!

* Please be polite, no foul language!