Thursday 21 November 2013

Blog 9: EQ



I reviewed the rule of three for writing an EQ.
  1. Provide a framework for studies (It calls for breadth and depth of research, Is not a yes/no question)
  2. Takes a stance (Allows you to argue some point, Cannot be a recitation of facts or a list)
  3.  Format (It is specific, The wording makes sense)

Review the following EQs and
  • Tell us if it meets the rule of 3 criteria
  • Tell why it does or why it doesn't

  1. What is the most important factor in healthy weight loss?
    • It does not meet the rule of 3
    • It is a little vague. Focussing it on a gender would really help the student on their research. Weight loss for women and men are different. Focussing on an age would be even better, but potentially difficult to find research on.
  2. What is most important to securing a conviction in a criminal investigation?
    • It does not meet the rule of 3
    • It is far too vague. If I could change this EQ, I would make the "conviction" a more specific crime such as murder or theft.
  3. What is most important in creating a hairstyle that best satisfies a customer?
    • It meets the rule of 3
    • While it is questionably open [a customer] I believe it is appropriate due to the topic [hair stylist] because there are many different types of people that prefer many different types of hairstyles. Aside from finding research for it separate from mentorship, I believe it is an OK EQ.
  4. How can an Anesthesiologist best treat chronic pain?
    • It does not meet the rule of 3
    • It is very vague. I would prefer it to go more in depth on the type of chronic pain the patient is having. Chronic pain is a pain that lasts for a long time; I would rather see "...treat chronic pain caused by X disease/condition/illness"
I noticed there were EQ's from last year, so ruling them not meeting the rule of 3 makes me question myself.


Based on your review of the rule of 3 and your experience with assessing four EQs, please write another draft EQ for your senior project.

As an internist, what is the most effective way to treat unvaccinated patients with rabies?

If I do that, my current answers that i have would become useless, but it would literally force me to know every single particle that makes up the rabies virus.

No comments:

Post a Comment

* If you are not signed in, please leave your name or blog link. Anonymous comments without a "–[name]" will be taken out by the spam filter!

* Please be polite, no foul language!